Q. How do I get text messages about my classes?
Once you have the correct cell phone number appear in Blackboard Learn 9.1, then you can opt-in to the Blackboard Connect notification system. NWTC now allows users to opt-in to receive automated alerts for everything from grades that are posted to assignments that are due to course announcements via text or text-to-voice.
To opt-into Notifications:
1. Have a valid mobile number that can receive SMS text messages:
a. Remember: All incoming text messaging fees apply
b. If you do not have a cell/mobile phone number in PeopleSoft, then follow the instruction in the knowledge base article:
Adding or Changing Cell Phone Number in PeopleSoft
2. Subscribe to receive notifications via SMS and text-to-voice:
a. Go to My Blackboard in the upper right of the screen
b. Click the Updates clock
3. Click the gear in the upper right corner of the Updates screen.
a. The Show/Hide Notifications window appears
4. Click View Notification Settings at the bottom of the Show/Hide Notifications .
a. The Edit Notification Settings window will appear
5. Click Edit General Settings to edit email setting and send due date reminders for courses and organizations.
6. The section labeled Edit Individual Course Settings allows you to edit Individual Course Settings. Only use these controls if you want different setting by individual course.
a. Click on a course of interest
b. Edit the settings as needed (the next section will explain)
7. The section labeled Bulk Edit Notification Settings allows you to edit global Course Notification Settings. Usually, you will use either the “Courses I am teaching” or “Courses I am taking” link.
a. Click on either the “Courses I am teaching” or “Courses I am taking” link.
b. Usually, leave Select Course set to All
c. Notification Destinations section shows your ID, email and mobile number.
d. The Setting section is where you can:
1. Turn on/off notification for the variety of Blackboard features and functions
2. Dashboard: By default, all notification types appear in My Blackboard's Updates and Posts pages and in course home pages. They also appear in the Notifications Dashboard.
3. Mobile: This column appears because we enabled Blackboard Mobile Learn. Choose which push notifications you want to appear on your mobile device. Push notifications appear on your device's screen without having to open the Blackboard Mobile Learn app.
4. Email: Email notification messages are sent to the email address you provided in your Personal Information.
5. One-Way SMS: A text message is sent to the phone number you provided in your Personal Information.
6. Text-to-Voice: A voice message is sent to the phone number you provided in your Personal Information.
See the attached visual version for an example showing the dashboard as all on, mobile as selectively on, email as all off, SMS as all on and Text-to-Voice as all off. You may choose any combination of notifications you want. By default email, SMS and Text-to-Voice are off. Turn on any one type by the check box at the top.