How do I Read, Post and Reply to a Discussion Board?
Reading, Posting and Replying in a Discussion Board
Discussion boards are a good way to get students to collaborate in the learning process by reading, posting and replying to questions related to the course. For a discussion board to be of value, the instructor should monitor the discussions within the class.
Forums can appear throughout a class, generally you will create a forum on a specific topic. You will access the topic by clicking on the forum, reading the posts, and posting your reply. A series of posts within a forum is called a thread. You may reply to a thread or you may begin a new thread.
To read a Forum within a Discussion Board:
- Select one of your courses. Welcome tab > My Courses.
- Select the Discussion Board button.
- Click on the name of the Forum you wish to review.
- Select each thread to read the message posted.
- Replies show as links below the message. Select each reply to read the reply.
Notice the title says Create Link: Discussion Board. When you add a Discussion Board to one of your Learning Plan folders, you are creating a link to your discussion board. The actual discussion board resides within the discussion board button located on the left, in the Side Menu Panel.
- Click Create New Forum.
- Enter a Name and a Description for your Discussion Forum.
- Select the Grade Discussion Forum: Points possible:
- Enter the possible points for grading.
To save time re-entering the same information, before clicking on the submit button, scroll up and copy the description text to the clipboard. This will ensure that the information your entering is consistent. (Cmd C Mac, Ctrl C Windows)
- Click Submit.
- Select the Discussion Board you just created, by default it should be highlighted
- Select Next.
- Paste (Cmd V Mac, Ctrl V Windows) the text from the clipboard into the Text Editor box.
- Click Submit.