How do I organize my columns in the Grade Center?
Organizing the Grade Center
The Column Organization page allows you to view all the columns in the Grade Center on one page. You can quickly reorder the columns, and the changes you make appear in the Grade Center grid.
Point to Manage on the action bar to access the drop-down list and select Column Organization.
On this page, columns are listed in the order they appear in the Grade Center. From this page, you can organize the Grade Center columns in the following ways:
- Rearrange the order of columns quickly using the drag-and-drop function.
- Freeze or unfreeze columns in the first table. If a column is frozen, it remains stationary when scrolling through the Grade Center view.
- Quickly hide or show multiple columns.
- Change a grade column's category or grading period.
IMPORTANT: Changes you make on this page do not affect what students see in My Grades. For example, if you hide a column on this page, the column is only hidden from your view in the Grade Center grid. You must edit an existing column’s settings to hide a column from students in My Grades or select Show/Hide to Users in a column’s contextual menu. In the Grade Center grid, the Column Not Visible to Users icon ( ) appears in the column header for any column hidden from students.
Understanding the Column Organization Page
The Column Organization page is divided into tables. You can move most rows to any table, and you can reorder grading period tables.
The first table holds user information rows, and you cannot move them into another table. This table is always first and cannot be moved, but you can reorder the rows within this table.
The last table holds rows that are not associated with a grading period. This table is always last and cannot be moved, but you can reorder the rows within this table.
Other tables appear when you create grading periods. The tables display the grading period names, such as Quarter 1 or First Term. You can move most rows—except user rows—to grading period tables and reorder existing rows. If you have more than one grading period table, you can reorder them, but they cannot appear first or last on the page.
- Select the check boxes, click Show/Hide on the Action Bar, and select your option from the drop-down list. Multiple columns can be shown or hidden. Hiding columns reduces the length of the grid and reduces the need for continuous scrolling. Existing information is retained.
- Use the move icon to drag the item to the new location.
- Columns in gray are frozen in place on the left side of the Grade Center, so they do not move while scrolling through other columns.
- Drag the bar to change which columns are frozen. Click Submit to save changes.
After submitting your changes, you are returned to the Grade Center grid. Columns now:
- Appear in the order you set.
- Are associated with the categories, grading periods, no category, or no grading period as chosen.
- Are shown, hidden, or frozen as chosen.
After you use the Column Organization page to determine how the Grade Center data appears, you can further sort and filter the data to customize your view using functions on the Grade Center Action Bar. For example, you can use the Filter function and only view test columns in the grid. You can use the Sort Columns By drop-down list to sort columns by due date.